Writing Lab's Terms and Conditions for Mentors
Please read the following Terms and Conditions for the use of the services offered by Writing Lab. These Terms and Conditions govern the relationship between Mentors and Mentees as well as the responsibility of both parties towards Writing Lab. Upon signing this form, the Mentor would be responsible for providing Writing Lab with mentorship and will be eligible to receive the services and benefits offered by Writing Lab. The Mentor has the freedom of choosing the organization of the work and scheduling the interactions with the Mentee. Our respected Professors are encouraged to be committed to the Terms and Conditions below in order to meet the goals of Writing Lab. The Mentor is requested:
- To help the Mentee to improve necessary academic skills by training the Mentee in all aspects of research and academic production.
- To be in a weekly interaction (minimum 1.5 hours per week) with the Mentee.
- To provide timely and quality advice to the Mentee.
- To respect the confidentiality of the Mentee's project and to avoid using the shared research information for other purposes.
- To develop a schedule of interactions, and follow-ups by acquiring weekly updates on the progress of the project.
- To share information about the mentorship with the staff of Writing Lab when requested.
- To notify the Writing Lab's Mentors Coordinator if the Mentor's availability and schedule changed.
At the manuscript preparation stage the Mentor agrees:
- To consider the Mentee as the main actor and responsible for the improvement of the work according to the guidance of the Mentor. The Mentee should take charge in respect to conducting experiments, preparing the drafts, correcting the documents based on the Mentor's suggestions, and sharing relevant research information with the assigned Mentor.
- To come to an agreement with the Mentee and other authors upon order of the authors and the content of the acknowledgement section.
- To make recommendations for restructuring the methodological aspects of the work so long such modifications favor the improvement of the work.
- To assist the Mentee in the selection of the journal for the paper submission, which is based on the discernment, carried out after revising the scope of the journals, their requirements, editorial response and publication timeframe.
At the submission and revision stage the Mentor is expected:
- To share the authorship of the work while carrying the affiliation of Writing Lab in addition to the Mentor's affiliation(s). The Writing Lab's affiliation is as follows:
"Writing Lab, TecLabs, Vicerrectoría de Investigación y Transferencia de Tecnología, Tecnologico de Monterrey, Ave. Eugenio Garza Sada 2501, Monterrey 64849, NL, Mexico"
- To assure that the submitted work was as agreed and to advice the Mentee throughout the revision process and addressing the comments of the reviewers from the journal.
- To acknowledge Writing Lab in the manuscript, based on the relevant services received by the authors following one of the formats below:
"The authors would like to acknowledge the financial and the technical support of Writing Lab, TecLabs, Tecnologico de Monterrey, Mexico, in the production of this work."
"The authors would like to acknowledge the technical support of Writing Lab, TecLabs, Tecnologico de Monterrey, Mexico, in the production of this work."
"The authors would like to acknowledge the financial support of Writing Lab, TecLabs, Tecnologico de Monterrey, Mexico, in the production of this work."
At the publication stage the Mentor agrees:
- To take part in the proofreading of the manuscript after acceptance.
- To provide Writing Lab with a link to the online version of the paper as well as the PDF of the published work.
Cancellation of the Mentor-Mentee appointment
The relationship between the Mentor and the Mentee must be based upon mutual respect. If an undesirable situation occurred, a Writing Lab committee would be established to study the case. Even after assigning the Mentee to a substitute Mentor, the original Mentor must be included as the coauthor of the work if there was an advancement of more than 50% to the project by the help and support of the original Mentor.
It is essential to note that if the Mentor does not attended the scheduled meeting in 3 subsequent weeks or 5 weeks in total, the Mentee has the right to request for the cancelation of the appointment and will be therefore assigned to another Mentor.
The Mentor and the Mentee accept to respect the Copyright Terms and Conditions both worldwide and those of Tecnologico de Monterrey.