Writing Lab's Terms and Conditions for Mentees
Please read the following Terms and Conditions for the use of the services offered by Writing Lab. These Terms and Conditions govern the relationship between Mentors and Mentees as well as the responsibility of both parties towards Writing Lab. Upon signing this form, the Mentee is eligible to receive Writing Lab's services and benefits. Due to the high demand of the Writing Lab's subscribers and a limited number of Mentors, our respected Professors are encouraged to be committed to the Terms and Conditions below to assure the success of their academic productions. The Mentee is requested:
- To be fully committed to the directions of the Mentor.
- To be in a weekly interaction (minimum 1.5 hours per week) with the Mentor.
- To provide a timely and quality response to the Mentor.
- To be willing to improve the academic research and writing skills.
- To share the necessary information regarding the project with the Mentor.
- To help the Mentor develop a schedule of interactions, and follow-ups by sending weekly updates on the progress of the project.
- To share information about the mentorship with the staff of Writing Lab when requested.
At the manuscript preparation stage the Mentee agrees:
- To be the main actor in respect to conducting experiments, preparing the drafts, correction the documents based on the Mentor's suggestions, providing necessary research information for the assigned Mentor and being entirely responsible for the improvement of the work according to the guidance of the Mentor.
- To come to an agreement with the Mentor and other authors upon order of the authors and the content of the acknowledgement section.
- To accept suggestions for restructuring the methodological aspects of the work if the Mentor finds it necessary.
- To obtain Mentor´s assistance in the selection of the journal for the paper submission, which is based on the discernment, carried out after revising the scope of the journals, their requirements, editorial policies and publication timeframe.
At the submission and revision stage the Mentee agrees:
- To share the authorship of the work with the assisting Mentor who will carry the affiliation of Writing Lab in addition to the Mentor's affiliation(s). The Writing Lab's affiliation is as follows:
"Writing Lab, TecLabs, Vicerrectoría de Investigación y Transferencia de Tecnología, Tecnologico de Monterrey, Ave. Eugenio Garza Sada 2501, Monterrey 64849, NL, Mexico"
- To submit the last version of the manuscript exactly as agreed with the Mentor and consult with the Mentor if further changes are required prior to submission.
- To assure that the Mentor's advice is fully received and respected throughout the revision process and addressing the comments of the reviewers from the journal.
- To acknowledge Writing Lab in the manuscript, based on the relevant services received by the Mentee following one of the formats below:
"The authors would like to acknowledge the financial and the technical support of Writing Lab, TecLabs, Tecnologico de Monterrey, Mexico, in the production of this work."
"The authors would like to acknowledge the technical support of Writing Lab, TecLabs, Tecnologico de Monterrey, Mexico, in the production of this work."
"The authors would like to acknowledge the financial support of Writing Lab, TecLabs, Tecnologico de Monterrey, Mexico, in the production of this work."
At the publication stage the Mentee agrees:
- To seek the Mentor's approval for the proofreading of the manuscript after acceptance.
- To provide the Mentor and Writing Lab with a link to the online version of the paper and as well as the PDF of the published work.
Cancellation of the Mentor-Mentee appointment
The relationship between the Mentor and the Mentee must be based upon mutual respect. If an undesirable situation occurred, a Writing Lab committee would be established to study the case. Even after assigning the Mentee to a substitute Mentor, the original Mentor must be included as the coauthor of the work if there was an advancement of more than 50% to the project by the help and support of the original Mentor.
It is essential to note that if the Mentee does not attended the scheduled meeting in 3 subsequent weeks or 5 weeks in total, the Mentor has the right to request for the cancelation of the appointment and will be therefore assigned to another Mentee.
The Mentor and the Mentee accept to respect the Copyright Terms and Conditions both worldwide and those of Tecnologico de Monterrey.